February 2022 Passive Income – Putting cash to work!
February 2022 Passive Income
- 5 Dividend Raises
- 3 sources of passive Income
- $343.14 from dividends
- 5 stocks/units dripped in February
Hey, Hey Hey
Wow will things ever get better in the world? I feel like every month for the last 2 years, I write about some issues going on. It’s really sad whats going on these days. Thoughts and prayers for the people of Ukraine, the world is watching and cheering you on.
I bitch about all these covid restrictions, rules, lock downs etc. Sit here cheering the truckers on, Yeah finally people have a voice, no mandates! But then you see a peaceful Country just get attacked from all sides, its heartbreaking. We have it good, then you think of all the innocent Russians, who don’t support the war. Their dollar is getting killed, economic sanctions after sanctions.
War really has no winners…. Just losers and tonnes of Casualty’s.
- Things opened up quite a bit this month in Ontario and actually March 1st they got rid of most vax pass requirements. Its so nice to see friends on facebook who didn’t want the vax finally able to go out with their kids, go to bars etc. Love that we are finally getting rid of some of this political division.
- Our son turned 9 this month, so we went to the arcade and had lunch with some friends and his friends.
- We went bowling. First time for our daughter who is now 4. (how crazy is that) Anyways I played absolutely horrible and was lucky to break 100. haha!
- We went to a hotel in Niagara with some friends and went to fallsview waterpark. Was a great time, but I can say people aren’t worried about covid anymore. We have went to Niagara 3 times during covid and most times was dead. The main strip was absolutely packed and the waterpark, well Id say it was at capacity!
Great to see, time to move on! A little too busy at the water park, but that’s to be expected when things just open up. Fallsview has the best water slides out of the 3 water parks in Niagara btw!
Alright, Let’s Get To Our February 2022 Passive Income
Raises or Cuts
5 raises this Month – Very Nice, but not the biggest raises…
- Tc Energy bumped theirs 3.4% adds – $16.20
- Brookfield Renewable with a 5.3% raise adds $14.71
- Restaurant Brands Int with a 1.9% raise adds $4.48
- Cisco bumped it 2.7% adding 5.52
- Nutrien topped theirs 4% adding 5.76
Total Added Income from Dividend Raises in 2022 – $95.62
$46.67 added to our forward dividend income, without lifting a finger. 3m also came through with another minuscule raise, but I sold it right after they announced that. Too little stock appreciation, tiny dividend raises and tonnes of litigation risks at the moment. Its tempting again at current prices, but there are so many better options in my opinion.
February 2022 Dividend Income
6 Companies paid us this month.
|Stocks||Feb 2021 Income||Feb 2022 Income|
|Riocan||21.28 (1 Drip)||sold|
|Extendicare||19.40 (3 Drips)||sold|
|Proctor and Gamble - USD||18.98||20.88|
|National Bank of Canada||25.56||50.46|
|Abbvie - USD||91.00||98.70|
|Rit ETF||44.69 (2 Drips)||66.56 (3 Drips)|
|Smart Centres||25.90 (1 Drip)||33.61 (1 Drip)|
|General Mills - USD||70.89 (1 Drip)||72.93 (1 Drip)|
5 stocks Dripped in February
Slightly lower than last year, but with this months purchases we should see a boost to these months each quarter.
If your interested check out our Previous Dividend Income Reports.
Our Drips (Dividend Reinvestment Program) added $6.32 to our yearly forward dividend’s this month
Private Investment Payment – $500.00
Nothing new here, just our regular monthly payment. (I don’t even have to edit this part every month) Steady Eddy…….
Solar Panel Income
In January (We always get paid a month later) our solar panel system generated 153 kWh. Since we bring in a fixed rate of 28.8 cents per kilowatt hour, Hydro One deposited $39.61 into our chequing account this month.
Last January the system generated $40.32 so we are a little under. Seems to be super consistent for these months.
Total Income for 2022 – $76.65
System Installed January 2018
Total System Cost ——–$32,396.46
Total Income Received ——–$9,953.18
Amount to Break even —- $-22,443.28
Total February 2022 Passive Income – $882.75
February 2021 Passive Income – $918.69
These months remain to be months slightly lower than last year. Obviously that’s the effect of the stock sales. No regrets as that money was put into other months. New buys will start to pump up these months once again.
Totals For 2022
Dividends Year To Date Total – $1,368.07
Other Passive Income Year to date – $1,772.12
Total Passive Income for 2022 —– $3,140.19
Year End Goal – $25,000
Passive income is $500 higher than it was at the end of February 2021. Sweet, gotta keep feeding the snowball.
January 2022 Purchases/ Sales
- We sold our 3M position this month. They came through with another tiny dividend raise, just to keep their streak alive. Those earplug cases and pfas cases are no joke and the stock price is actually down in a year 5 year period, in one of the biggest bull runs ever. I figured there is better places for our money and sold our 22 shares at 162 and change.
Losing $130.34 in forward income.
- We put that cash and more into buying 25 shares of APD. I have always liked this company and they are down 22.33% ytd.
They have some massive projects in the works and I think hydrogen demand will only increase in the years to come. I’m always down with greening the portfolio a bit and this is another play in that space. Bonus its in the basic material sector which is our lowest sector and pays in our lowest income months. (This should never persuade you to buy but it is nice )
40 years of dividend raises and a 5 yr div growth rate over 10%
This purchase added 162.00 usd in forward income.
- I sold our Position In Canadian utility’s awhile back after their minor dividend raise yet again. This month I put that money and more back to work by starting a position In Fortis.
Simply put I think Fortis is the better company, better price appreciation and higher dividend raises. This purchase was in the kids RESP so its got time to work its magic. =)
We bought 176 shares of Fortis. This purchase added $376.68 but we lost $387.84 on the Canadian Utilities sale.
- We continued to grow our position in JNJ. Love the company and wonder if this upcoming split will be as well as the abbott/ abbvie split.
We added 24 more shares of jnj which adds 101.76 usd in forward income.
- We also added to our Disney position. No dividend but lots of people I talk to are going there within the year. They say how busy Disney is and we also have disney starting to add more adult content on disney plus. Here’s hoping the dividend comes back in q3/q4 of 2022.
10 More shares to our holding.
All in all these purchases add $144.58 and make the Portfolio even stronger moving forward.
Financial Goals Update
- We continue our monthly donation to The Nature Conservancy of Canada of $85.
Increase Dividends by $6,990.09 this year. (bringing our forward income from dividends to $14,936.65 a year)
The goal for 2022 is to have a forward passive income of 30 thousand by the end of the year. I plan on doing this by refinancing our house and taking advantage of these low interest rates. I want to max out some accounts and let compounding do their magic. Its a big goal and will almost double our current dividend income.
- With New Purchases, Drips, and Dividend Raises we continued to grow the size of our dividend Portfolio. Total increased so far in 2022 is $513.45
We signed the paperwork for the home equity line of credit, but continue to wait for Rbc. 2 month process so far….
Etf Monthly Minimum Purchase of $250
- This month we added 8 more units of xaw etf.
- Questrade* is great because it offers free etf trades and cheaper stock trading options than most Canadian brokers. $250.00 a month would kill us if we needed to pay high trading fees.
- * Note the questrade link is a affiliate link and at no additional cost to you, I would get a little payment if you were to sign up. You could get $50 in free trades by using my link though.
February 2022 Passive Income Conclusion
Overall a good month for the portfolio. Life is starting to get back to normal, our son just started soccer as well. The sun is shining, here’s hoping spring comes soon. I’m done with this winter haha! Let’s pray the war in Ukraine ends quickly with Russia pulling out. Wishful thinking, but you never know.
How was your February?
There is no greatness where there is not simplicity, goodness, and truth. – unknown
Hey I’m Rob, creator of Passive Canadian Income.
In 2011 me and my wife had almost $60,000 in debt and a negative $7,000 Net Worth. Through hard work and financial education we paid all that off. Now we are focusing on increasing our Passive Income Streams to make the money work for us. Feel Free to Follow along the Journey by clicking the Social Media links below or subscribing to get notified of new posts on the sidebar.