August 2020 Passive Income Update – $1,145.39
August 2020 Passive Income Update – $1,145.39
Hope you all had a wonderful August. Life continues to be great here, but I have definitely had a off week this past week. I dunno what it was but I was extremely tired, weak and a little depressed? I dunno if that’s the right word to describe things, but I couldn’t shake it. Friday night I sat upstairs and cranked some tunes and watched music videos. That helped a lot and almost instantly I felt better. Music is a powerful thing that’s for sure.
I think part of the reason I was down was due to all the stuff going on in the world these days… I got caught up watching the news.. I really try to avoid it as much as possible. The news and social media loves to show all the bad stuff. It’s depressing for sure. I won’t get in to my thoughts too much but will say Black Lives Matter.. I couldn’t imagine being pulled over just because of my skin color or being worried about my safety around police.
At the same time the violent protests need to stop – literally burning down citys, killing people, looting and attacking historical monuments.
To the good cops – Thank You. Seriously! I think the no cops movement is absolutely crazy.. To be a cop at the moment would be hard enough but to be a white cop, wow that would be really hard.. I couldn’t imagine being in your shoes currently. I appreciate you putting your life on the line to ensure the safety in your community.
The movement to get rid of or defund the police is mind blowing to me.. If there is no cops everyone with any money or businesses would move to someplace with cops. Then that city would essentially fall apart or a straight up gun fight with everyone defending their property, eventually they would ask the government why didn’t you save us?
I don’t condone cops killing or anyone killing period… There are a lot more good cops than bad out there.. Same with people. Most of the protesters seem peaceful but certain people mess things up. We will see some good changes come from this but I really dislike how much hate there is for everyone these days…
Mic Drop, End of Rant – Love You Lonng Time.
Other than that we just enjoyed the month around the water. We got together twice with the little cousins for pool party’s and even went away camping once again.
This time we went to Turkey Point Provincial park.
The park was nice, but is known for ticks so we didn’t do any hikes on the trails this time. (Last year we went to long point park which is close by and saw ticks everywhere) We would drive just down the street and go to the beach during the day and enjoy the evening fireside.
While we didn’t see any deer/raccoon’s etc the place was absolutely full of bugs.. Stick bugs were everywhere, the kids loved it. At night time it was really cool hearing all the noises. It really made you think this is what it used to be like, just a blanket of insects communicating.
Alright, Let’s Talk Money!
Raises or Cuts
0 Raises and 0 cuts this month
Total Added Income from Dividend Raises in 2020 – $112.12
Dividend Cuts Reduced Dividends in 2020 by $327.03
10 Companies paid us this month.
|Stocks||August 2019 Income||August 2020 Income|
|Proctor & Gamble||17.90 usd||18.98 USD|
|Abbvie||52.43 usd||82.60 USD|
|National Bank of Canada||24.48||25.56|
|CVS Healthcare||15.50 usd||sold|
|Emera||55.81 (One Drip)||sold|
|Dream Global Reit||20.73 (One Drip)||bought out|
|Interpipeline||28.07 (One Drip)||8.32|
|Smart Centers||0||24.98 (1 Drip)|
|Riocan||29.16 (One Drip)||30.72 (2 Drips)|
|Extendicare||17.64 (2 Drips)||18.72 (3 Drips)|
|General Mills||65.17 (One Drip) usd||67.13 (1 Drip) USD|
7 stocks Dripped in August- Not bad.. not great.
A negative growth rate? Sure its unfortunate but I sold Emera in March for a nice profit since we both weren’t working due to covid. Now we enjoy keeping that cash as backup if something happens again.
Also these months don’t have many companies that I want to hold at the moment (at current prices) so we haven’t been putting much capital in these months. Previously I have wanted to even out the months, but really don’t care too much about that at the moment.
If your interested check out our Previous Dividend Income Reports.
Our Drips (Dividend Reinvestment Program) added $8.13 to our yearly forward dividend’s this month.
Trailing 12 Month Return
.10% Haha back in the green! That brookfield renewable spinoff helped for sure and Microsoft is up 10% already since I bought it.. I said I need more tech… crazy!
Private Investment Payment – $500.00
Nothing new here, just our regular monthly payment. (I don’t even have to edit this part every month) Steady Eddy…….
In July (We always get paid a month later) our solar panel system generated 1,153 kWh. Since we bring in a fixed rate of 28.8 cents per kilowatt hour, Hydro One deposited $332.06 into our chequing account this month.
Last July the system generated $339.55, slightly lower this year. Weather or the maple tree getting bigger? Who knows, but its pretty dam close.
Total Income for 2020 – $1,799.13
System Installed January 2018
Total System Cost ——–$32,396.46
Total Income Received ——–$6,768.54
Amount to Break even —- $-25,627.92
Total August 2020 Passive Income – $ 1,145.39
August 2019 Passive Income – $1,186.35
Total Passive Income Increase over last year. – -40.26
Solar was down 6 bucks and dividends were down 33. Unforetuante to be lower but like I said earlier we sold Emera and IPL dividend cut is a factor.. We just got to keep moving forward, one foot at a time.
Totals For 2020
Dividends Year To Date Total – $4,159.17
Other Passive Income Year to date – $6,223.19
Total Passive Income for 2020 —– $10,382.36
Year End Goal – $17,200 ——– %60.36
Breaking the 10k mark! Good Times.
August 2020 Purchases
Grew our healthcare and tech sector last month by making 2 purchases.
- We increased our position in JnJ by adding another 10 shares.
- Finally started a position in Microsoft and got 5 shares.
In total these 2 purchases added $50.60 usd to our forward income. You can read more about those purchases here.
- We also added 9 more xaw etf this month. 250 a month every month. let’s get it. This added a couple bucks…
Read 3 Books I normally Wouldn’t Consider
- I finished reading rich dad poor dad last month. Always a great series and helps you focus more on growing the investment income. In a way I have given up on this goal.. At the start of the year I thought it was a good idea but when I read books I wouldnt normally consider, I lose interest. haha You need to enjoy what your reading..
Go 3 Times and Pick Up Garbage
- We picked up some garbage while camping this time and while walking the dog. People are dicks, clean up your fu&*ing garbage..
- I did notice some guy on my daily drive to work going along the road and cleaning up garbage each morning. I stopped and told him hes awesome and doing a great job! He smiled, I smiled.. Maybe hes a fan of the site. Shout out to you good sir.
- We continue to make our monthly donation of 75 bucks to The Nature Conservancy of Canada
Increase Dividends by $1,713.42 this year. (bringing our forward income from dividends to $7,500 a year)
- With New Purchases, Drips and Dividend Raises this month we added $58.73 to our dividend Portfolio. Total increased so far in 2020 is $855.37. 49.92% of our goal.
Still behind but most of this months increase were usd.. so maybe we are almost there.. dam usd! Seriously though, I haven’t been chasing yield and it shows. No regrets!
Etf Monthly Purchase of $250
- We added 9 more shares of xaw etf this month for roughly 250 bucks in our questrade account. Questrade* is great because it offers free etf trades and cheaper stock trading options than most Canadian brokers. $250.00 a month would kill us if we needed to pay high trading fees.
- * Note the questrade link is a affiliate link and at no additional cost to you, I would get a little payment if you were to sign up. You could get $50 in free trades by using my link though.
- 198 baby! Yup we are back under the 200 mark, it feels good. The handles are getting smaller, unfortunately the pecs are too. Is it worth it? Of course but I need to get back on the bench and do a couple flys and presses. My tits still move when I flex them though. =)
- Cherry Tomato’s for days! The garden is flourishing. Seriously getting tonnes each day I go look. We have been eating healthier for sure. Cut down on a lot of red meat but still rock a good steak on the weekends. We have been eating a lot of curried up veggies and beans with either pasta or rice. I love it, kids hate it.. It feels good to eat healthier.
Overall a great month on the living side of things. Financially things could be better, but I ain’t stressing. (It’s a off month after all) The next 2 months will be back to gains.
It’s the final long weekend of summer, and looks to be a beauty. I hope you all get out there and enjoy it. After that kid’s go back to school and life becomes semi normal again! (Throws sword into air — freeeedooommmm!) I also can start throwing those fruit by the foot in my lunches again.. Bring back dunkaroos dammit!
Wish you all nothing but the best, and welcome to all the new followers. It’s great to see more and more people wanting to be better with their money. That concludes our August 2o2o Passive income report.
“Don’t Forget To Be Awesome.”
Hey I’m Rob, creator of Passive Canadian Income.
In 2011 me and my wife had almost $60,000 in debt and a negative $7,000 Net Worth. Through hard work and financial education we paid all that off. Now we are focusing on increasing our Passive Income Streams to make the money work for us. Feel Free to Follow along the Journey by clicking the Social Media links below or subscribing to get notified of new posts on the sidebar.