June 2019 Passive Income

1. Nice work, PCI. I wouldnt worry about the slight decline in yoy income. You sold some poor performance companies, which is the most important thing to do.

Looks like summer is in full swing and you are having a blast. Keep it up!

R2R
    Roadmap2Retire recently posted…Outlook for July 2019My Profile

thanks Road

Yeah it looks (and was) a tonne of sales yr over yr. I like the look of our portfolio a lot more these days. Long term Ill be glad i did it.

Summer is always a good time. Sun’s out, guns out!

2. Looks like a fun month man. We’ve got the bean bags set up at the cabin (and Frisknock) too!

Campsite looks great – but you need to UP your beer game…Coors and bud? Come on man! You’re better than that!

best of luck in July.
    [email protected] recently posted…June Dividend Update. Canada Day Weekend Edition!My Profile

haha your hilarious!

I dont drink bud (thats my friends) I do drink coors though.

If im planning on having a good time it doesnt make sense to just drink craft beers, after a bunch its cheaper to just drink coors. Also i like a good ipa and they tend to have higher alcohol %. so the coors kinda water it down and i dont crash as fast… haha!

Never heard of frisknock. may have to look that up.

cheers Jordan!

3. Good stuff Rob. I had a drop in dividends in Q2 as well. Much smaller then yours.A suggestion, for consistency purposes could you also mention the % of private investment you recouped? I remember it was 50,000$ investment. Can it be scaled i.e. more money = more revenue? Perhaps you could do more with it. Such, guaranteed returns are hard to come by.

I was looking through Canadian tax system. Seems like dividends are taxed at marginal tax rate and long term capital gains is not. Would it be better to hold growth stocks then?

hey geek

Thanks man. As for the private investment. I can include how much we have gotten back already moving forward.

I could always add more to the investment, and this is something we keep debating.. The returns have been good but nothing is entirely guaranteed. I like to stay diversified and also would like to see how the investment does in turbulent times. (As its mostly real estate)

As for taxes, right now all our stocks are under registered accounts. Once we max these out. Ill have to look into it more, but from what understand canadian dividends are taxed favorably in un registered accounts.

4. Great month PCI, even with the slight decrease. Since I’m re-balancing my portfolio, I am expecting a decrease next month. But the snowball keeps growing larger and in the long-term it will all be fine! Keep up the great work! 🙂
    My Dividend Dynasty recently posted…June 2019 Dividend Income Plus Recent Buy – Starwood Property Trust (STWD)My Profile

5. If you take the car out of the portfolio scenario you would be higher than last years total. Look at it as a dividend purchase you made, you never had to go into debt to buy the car so that’s pretty cool. Overall good month and love your solar income! See you next month my friend

6. Jim says:

Just sold my Highliner on this little uptick. I was disappointed by their divvy cut. How did you figure in April they were going to throw down a cut?

You’re doing great with your income streams. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Keep it up.

hey Jim

nice. Seems like highliner has some challenges in the future, things weren’t changing to fast. Management kept stating that they would reevaluate their capital allocation strategy by the end of q2. So I figured a dividend cut was going to the be the thing they do to reduce debt.

Sometimes you get things right… haha
      cheers Jim

7. MichelleVV says:

Great post PCI! Sounds like you had a lot of good times in June! Always interested to hear about the income of the solar panels, I like how you are tracking with the breakeven point in mind. Next time I see you I’ll ask you more about “DRIPs”

8. No worries, like you said…it was expected after closing several positions. It will be exciting investing that capital in new positions with great companies. Or you can talk your neighbor into letting you install solar panels on his roof.
    Passive Cash recently posted…Stock Purchases – June 2019My Profile

hey pc

Yeah exactly. I wish we could. The microfit program is no longer taking any new systems, and you can only have 1 to your name =)
      Gotta max these registered accounts and then look for the next alternative passive income stream.

9. Tawcan says:

Nice work! I’m hoping the Canucks will get the cup before the Leafs or we’ll never hear the end of it on the West Coast. :p

We broke the $2,000 monthly milestone in June, supre excited about that.
    Tawcan recently posted…Random Thoughts – Coffee Ain’t Going to Ruin Your RetirementMy Profile

wow congrats Bob! look forward to your next report.

The leafs look better than last year if they can keep marner.

Heres hoping!
      cheers Bob

I hope your solar income bounces strong this month, which I am sure it will. Keep saving and investing my friend.

Congrats on the Raptors, as well, I know the feeling about GSW in the finals : )

hey Lanny

me too. These lower months will hurt the overall yearly return of the panels. Ahhh well cant return them now! haha

Looks like kawhi has decided to move on along with danny green.. 2 tough spots to fill before the next season.

cheers Lanny

11. Nice work so far in eliminating your debt and starting the dividend journey. Dripping dividends gets the ball rolling. But I think you could improve your dividend income quite a bit by adding banks and utilities. BCE, Emera, etc, pay great consistent dividends. I never dripped much but used all dividends each quarter to buy a new stock. Keep on your path and enjoy the journey.

hey div

Thanks! Last month none of those companies paid dividends though. I have them all actually! Working on that bce position still though.

cheers mate

12. Jo says:

Nicely done! Just curious if you hold any TELUS shares? I ask because I do and their dividends are great!. I’m eyeing BNS atm, they pay pretty good dividends as well.

hey Jo

Yes I do and they are my favorite canadian teleco.

Also have a full position in bns. Love their potential.

You can see all my holdings on my dividend page in the menu.

Have a great day!

13. Hey Rob,

Great job with the totals.

Good to see you on board with increasing your BEP position. I think that’s a great stock and fits well with your renewable/solar panel side income.

Take care,
    Ryan
    Get Rich Brothers recently posted…Q2 2019 Dividend ReportMy Profile

hey Ryan thanks man

I love bep and the brookfields in general.

Renewables are the future and bep seems to be doing it right. haha

cheers Ryan!

14. Hi Rob. Bummer about the YoY dip in income, but I’m sure it will be a short term thing.
    Good to see that 1st MMM dividend, huh? Is MMM still on your watchlist despite the recent mini recovery?
    Congrats on your corn hole victory. Good to see you enjoying the nicer weather.
    Engineering Dividends recently posted…Monthly Dividend Income (June 2019)My Profile

hey Paul

thanks man. Yeah 3m is still on my radar but i have absolutely no usd at the moment. I think ill let the dividends do their thing for a couple months and then just in the us side of things again. (after my recent abbvie buy)

Grab some cdn $ stocks these months.

Hope your enjoying the summer as well.
      cheers Paul

15. German says:

Yeah new car purchases hurt the bottom line, but they keep the butt warm!! Dividends will stabilize with new purchases and DRIPs, just give it a few months. Keep of hustling!

16. Evan says:

I can’t believe that in 18 months you are 10% paid back on your system (without taking into account the money you didn’t pay for electricity)!! That is awe inspiring. I am in the middle of buying a new house but I’ll 100% be looking into getting solar. Only problem is that I don’t think our power company is anywhere near as generous
    Evan recently posted…Undervalued Dividend Watch List – July 2019My Profile

hey Evan

Thanks man! The system definitely pays for itself, although we do pay for our power on top of it. (since we get paid more for all power we generate than what we pay to use power)

Best of luck on your new house purchase, and hope your solar project works out for you.
      Cheers Evan!

17. John says:

Awesome month Rob! I hold a fair number of those names and would love to add CNR and BEP in the future.

I definitely understand the feelings around the new car. One of my relatives bought a tesla model 3 recently and I visited them earlier in the spring. I came away from that trip wanting to look into buying a tesla myself lol!

June was a good month for me as well. Portfolio income is highly variable in month three of each quarter, as I hold pretty large positions in international developed/emerging index funds that only pay dividends semi-annually (XEF, IEMG/XEC). Still, it was a record month and quarter for me: the first time passing the $1,500 monthly and $2,500 quarterly mark. No semi-annual payments next quarter so the total will be much smaller, but in the annual picture it all works out.

Looking forward to another 6 months of dividend increases!

John

hey John

Thanks man. Cnr and bep are 2 of my favourite stocks. (cnr is probably my #1 stock) A Tesla would be sweet, they look awesome and electric would be so nice! Love what Elon has been doing.

As for you, congrats on your record month and quarter. Sounds like some nice etfs positions. I should get a international etf sometime soon, to further diversify.
      Gotta love setting new records. They really help you keep going as you see that momentum grow.

cheers John!