Stock Watch List – May 2019

1. May says:

I have BCE, MMM and NTR on my watch list too. I also want to buy some MG. MG is pretty volatile and right now very close to 52 week lows.

There are other stocks I want to buy but right now very expensive. COSTCO, VISA, MSFT, AMAZON, APPLE, BAM.A, TRI and CSU.

hey May

Great minds think alike?

Nice list you got there as well. I have always wanted to add Magna as they seem very shareholder friendly and i got some friends who work for them.
      Im a little sketchy about the car industry at the moment though… So many new cars on the roads these days… They do have the electric model deals in place with china though which could be really good but then again all this trade tension with china isnt good.

Im curious to see how this week go’s in regards to the market.

cheers May!

2. German says:

You listed very strong companies that are hard to choose from! Bell is ok for income, but Telus is great for grow! I guess just pick the one that has the best deal at the moment, but eventually you want to own them all. It’s like banks, eventually you want to own them all 🙂

haha

Good point German. I agree telus has better growth prospects as well.
      Hopefully the market drops nicely in the coming weeks.

What are you thinking of buying?

cheers German

Seems like you have a great watch list. Chemical companies have been beat up pretty bad, may want to take a look at them, as well. Such as EMN and LYB!

Love it Lanny

Thanks! Ill look into them. Id love to add apd and was debating them at 160 and then they skyrocketed!

one day…. haha cheers man

4. German says:

I will probably add to one of my banks or brookfield’s, depending on the ex-div date. Haven’t looked at stocks for a few weeks. I’ve been busy hustling around. 🙂

haha nice German.

Got to love the banks. Right now they are overweight for me so i need to focus on other sectors.

Brookfield is solid and id love to add bip as well one day.

Gotta love the hustle.
      cheers man!

5. May says:

I have bought some NFI yesterday. Attracted by the high yield and low pe. Almost pull the trigger on Magna today and scared back by some articles saying that automobile cycle is at the end and the new trend of the world is less cars in the future.

What do you think about Magna? It looks quite cheap right now and I am really intrigued.

I think cars will have a slow down but less cars in the future? I cant see that. Citys keep expanding and i dont think public transit keeps up.

In big citys like Toronto, yeah it sucks to drive, those are walking and transit citys.

Electric will be the next boom for cars and magna has some connections for that.

Long term magna will do great but short term their maybe a better price.

Its not a bad price now, if you want them id buy a third position and in a couple months buy another tranche. etc etc

They seem to be a very shareholder friendly company atleast.
      cheers May!

6. Thanks Rob, I’m too old for increased unpredictability and uncertainty of a Nutrien. It can perform at the whim of foreign governments and price fixing etc? Can’t say I know much about the space though. One would have to perhaps be an industry expert as well to select it for a concentrated portfolio? But if one is somewhat replicating an index with mostly full diversification then we’d go for it.

I am a meat n potatoes investor and would not know how to analyze a company beyond the big financial long term picture and any moat and obvious sector probabilities. Nutrien looks to be all over the place on the basic financials of revenues and dividends and cash flow and earnings and more. Nothing moving in a consistent and positive direction. We’ll have to see with that merger thing. Ha. I remember being in Potash and XMA back in the accumulation days.

Being ‘semi retired’ I’ll have to stick to my wide moats and oligopolies 🙂 Banks, pipelines, telco’s. I’d add rails and groceries and Brookfield and Couch-Tard and a few utilities if I was looking to diversify 🙂

Dale

hey Dale

Haha great points. Nutrien can become pretty cyclical in nature. I do think the merger of both them will kind of even that out and make it a little more stable than potash previously was. As we continue building, reducing farmland and even more dope farms start up fertilizer will be a even more important ingredient in the future. (well i think at least)

There’s no question the core of your portfolio should be built around those “meat and potatoes kind of stocks” I slowly improving to “beef” our portfolio up!

Haha cheers Dale!