March 2019 Passive Income Update

1. Damn, even with some of your sales, that Dividend income is huge!
    Too bad about the car..but hopefully the new ones will last for the next decade+.

I need to take mine in this week – something is rattling…hopefully just a small fix. Although my wife still bugs me about it – i’m so glad, I haven’t caved and bought a second car…going to try and stick with 1 as long as possible…(we are lucky..we can carpool to work – her office is a few blocks away from mine)

I’ve filled up 4 garbage bags of dog crap already…normally I keep on top of it during the winter..but with 2 little kids, it’s been impossible….can’t wait until the yard is completely cleaned up again..hah

All the best!
    [email protected] recently posted…Top Canadian Investing Blogs for 2019My Profile

hey Jordan

thanks man. Yeah if we get 10 yrs from both of them then we can recover those loss of dividends in no time!

Yeah single cars is where its at. Well i guess repairs can be a big issue though. Very cool how you guys work so close. Do u meet up for lunch some times? that would be nice kid free.

Well hope your car repair is minor man

2. John says:

Hey Rob,

Nice to see the passive income ticking up (although I think there is a typo in your 2018 vs 2019 dividend income summary that swapped the two numbers and made it look like dividend income had decreased YoY!). I’m not too far behind you this month, but I find my attitude to dividends changes a little once I have to invest mostly in a taxable account. Dividends feel great, but unrealized capital gains save me money at tax time!

Last month I started a new position in IPL and added to international exposure via XEF.

This month I am thinking about selling my horizons bond swap etf in light of possible tax changes in the federal budget, and further adding to IPL, XEF & XEC (possibly others as well).

It is definitely weird having your dividends fluctuate so much month by month and quarter by quarter due to holding semi-annual payers like XEF.

Hope spring comes to us all soon, and all the best.

hey John

thanks man. I fixed the error, thanks for pointing that out.

Interesting take on the unregistered accounts. I havent gotten that far yet as we need to max our registered accounts first.

I would think they would be a pain having to claim stuff at tax time, but yeah you make a great point.

the tfsas have saved my ass twice now. Love how I can just pull out cash whenever!

sounds like some nice buys and diversification. Yeah the big gaps in payments can be weird, but they also tend to throw down some big stacks then when they pay out!

keep it up John, I like your moves!

3. Congrats on another great month of passive income! Spring is here and yet the snowball will continue to grow! March was a great month. I just reached the $1K per month milestone in dividend income! Super excited! Anyways, keep up the great work PCI! 😀
    My Dividend Dynasty recently posted…March 2019 Dividend Income – The $1K MilestoneMy Profile

4. Mitch says:

Hey Rob, nice job man. A couple of years ago I also had to replace two cars. One was just starting to have too many things go wrong despite low kms and the costs were getting too much. The other spun a cylinder bearing which meant an engine replacement. What I decided to do was get two vehicles that were a couple of years old (2 and 3 years) with low kms and instead buy the full extended warranty. Not only did I save a lot by purchasing vehicles that already had 65,000 and 70,000 km on them but that savings more than offset the $5000 total for max extended warranties. I now have warranties that are better than a new vehicle and I saved ~60,000 between the two vehicles.

hey Mitch

thanks man and welcome.

Dam that would suck. Ive never had any major engine problems *knock on wood* or cars go back to back.

Atleast its been about 6-7 months since the last car.

I always buy cars 3-5 years old most of the time from private sellers who like cash and i can get a good deal. Normally in the 80k-120k range.

Gotta love the car that have already been depreciated.

Curious have you ever used those extended warrantys? I know the wifes first car she got one of those packages and they denied the repairs… Was so frustrating.

cheers!

5. German says:

Happy belated birthday, Rob! Sucks about the car. My civic was 14 years old when I let it go. I sold it last year to replace with more reliable car as a precaution.

But wow you have 350 Kqlicks on your civic. These are durable machines. Repairs should not cost you 2k. Front struts should be 600 with parts and labor, maybe 700. A set of summer tires $100 off kijiji. And the muffler, a specialised muffler shop can cut out the rusted piece and replace with another pipe. Happened to me twice, paid $45 to weld the exhaust. But your car has 350K you never know what will give next. Any ideas on your next car purchase?

As far as portfolio and incomes goes, well, a $1,395 in passive income speaks for itself. Well done! Hard work is paying off.
    German recently posted…Portfolio Value Update – March 2019My Profile

hey German.

Yeah civics are solid cars. Got another one.

Gotta love the passive income especially for stuff like this.

This is incredible. Solar income has gotten better and will only increase each month. You are killing it.

7. German says:

I wrote a big comment but it didn’t go through. I’ll try again tomorrow. Typed it all on my cell phone!

8. Brian says:

Great month Rob, back luck on the car but better to take from hear than pull out a loan with a generally high interest. Its nice to have the option that’s for sure. See you next month and all the best!

Brian
    Brian recently posted…Money While You Sleep 2019 March EditionMy Profile

9. Happy Birthday! And that is a lot of miles on the old car. Seems like you got more than enough use out of it. I like having a reliable vehicle. Other than that, another great month and quarter. Congrats on the new dividend monthly record. Also nice seeing adsense pop up there. Gotta love adding new sources of passive income. Keep it up!
    Dividend Daze recently posted…Dividend Update – February 2019My Profile

hey daze

thanks man, so true. After that last breakdown of our old escape, a reliable vehicle is nice!

Dont want that ever happening again. haha

thanks about the month, those adsense and other payments are always nice to see!

cheers daze.

10. German says:

Happy belated birthday! If you continue to progress like that you may retire by 50 yo. Have you set the date yet?

That’s a lot of miles on your car! It proves how reliable those civics are. It probably will not cost you that much for repairs. The struts are about 600-700 with parts and labor, exhaust is $50 repair, just weld it back on and summer tires $100 for a set off kijiji. But the car with so many miles… is it worth it? You never know what will give next! Good thing you have a TFSA where you can pull out some cash to finance another car. Even if you pull $10K that will have a little effect on your dividends. Plus, the market is expensive now, so taking some money off the table could play out in your favor. You can always contribute the same back next year.

As passive income goes, well, a $1,395 speaks for itself. No surprise here. Hard work does pay off! Love the diversity of your income sources. Bit by bit from different sources makes up a big pile!
    German recently posted…Portfolio Value Update – March 2019My Profile

hey German

thanks man! 50 maybe a littlw early but time will tell.

You are right on qith the struts 800-900 the summers i had 200 in my head. The mufflar i figured another 800 though.

so yeah at that high of milage it seems things keep falling apart and was time to move on.

10k does take about 4-5 hundred off our forward dividends. It sucks in the short term but we got to keep moving forward.

You nailed my thoughts on the market. Atleast im taking it out when the market is hot, hopefully it cools off as we redeploy the cash.

cheers man!

11. Yes! Congratulations Rob. This report is just excellent and just what I needed to read this afternoon. Thanks for the motivation and showing the power of re-investment and multiple sources of income. It is time to kick my sorry ass into high gear and get it going!!

Bert

12. Tawcan says:

Congrats on a solid month. Love seeing your dividend income increase YoY. Best of all you got 15 DRIP from March dividends. Love it! Keep up the good work.

13. Doug says:

Good job. Sold all those stocks and still come out ahead. Keep it up.
    Doug recently posted…March 2019 Dividends.My Profile

14. I had fun reading your summary Rob! It got to feel good to receive income from 5 different sources.
    Sorry to hear about the car but at least you will have two reliable cars now and hopefully won’t need to replace them anytime soon!
    Keep it up!
    BI
    BrokeInvestor recently posted…March 2019 SummaryMy Profile

hey broke

thanks! 5 sources definately make things fun.

The car sucked but yeah I love driving our new car.

Since both are relatively new now it makes both fun to drive and no complaining if one of us takes a certain car over the other now.

haha cheers Broke

15. Happy belated bday, Rob! My bday is in April as well.

That’s too bad about your car but at least you got a lot of miles out of it.

Awesome news about the YoY dividend growth and 15 DRIPS! And congrats on receiving the adsense payout!

Amazing haul of passive income so far this year! Keep up the great work!
    Reverse The Crush recently posted…RTC Dividend Income Update #22 | New Record in March 2019!My Profile

hey Graham

Happy birthday to you then!

thanks man, its nice to see it keep progressing and now that the sun is here solar should bump up.

16. Sorry to hear about your car, but at least dividend income was great in March! That solar income is also a nice boost to passive income and I am sure the ROI is pretty good.

I also use siteground for hosting and it’s been working really well!

hey Deluge

Financially it sucks…. But i do prefer driving the new car.

With the sun out more the passive income should continue to grow again.

Gotta love siteground.

17. DivHut says:

Looks like another solid month of passive income earned from a variety of sources. I guess that solar income can fluctuate from month to month and year to year but you can’t control weather. Here’s to more sunny days. Always looking at your payers I am reminded of how many different ways there are to generate income from stocks. We have very different holdings 🙂 Keep up the good work.
    DivHut recently posted…Dividend Income Update March 2019My Profile

haha theres always a difference feom canadian and us blogs. Our dollar sucks so we cant get those us stocks as much!

hopefully thats changes soon.

18. You’ve got a lot going on here, Rob. No dividend raises, and not as much dividend growth as you’d hoped for, but other things such as AdSense and Siteground picked up the slack. The power of the diversified income streams in action.
    Keep striving to attain those goals. You’ve done a nice job of knocking out a few of them early in the year, such as getting the Will in place.
    Engineering Dividends recently posted…Monthly Dividend Income (Mar. 2019)My Profile

hey E.d

thanks man!

Yeah theres no question having multiple income streams is great and can smooth out a rough ride.

Goal wise – theres room for improvement. I really need to get reading books again!

all the best

19. Love hearing about all that passive income! We are thinking about buying land to build a house soon and will hopefully put some solar panels on it too. The other private investment income is great too. I just participated in some deals like that as well. I did have to take out a loan but the asset invested in is income generating and more than pays for the interest. While I don’t like debt, the kind that pays us seems pretty good!

Scott
    Two Investing recently posted…March 2019 IncomeMy Profile

hey Scott

Love it man! congrats on the moves.

Sounds like some cool moves and big changes with the new place.

That would be awesome if you coule get solar on it as well.

The private investment has been good, great to see you making the same moves.

I used to be really anti debt but debt can be your friend if you use it to your advantage.

keep it up!

20. Caroline says:

Happy Birthday Rob! 36…it seems like yesterday 🙂
    Nice income for the month again, nice to see an increase over last year.
    So far, I haven’t been able to make up for the changes with Crescent Point and Corus so I am behind on my dividend goal and also compare to last year. Makes it a little more challenging.
    Sucks to have to sell stocks to buy a car, but at least you have the money.
    Cheers. Caroline
    Caroline recently posted…March 2019 – Income, Expenses & GoalsMy Profile

hey Caroline

Thanks alot. It was a great birthday.
      While the growth is not as good as i hoped its still going up.

Sucks about crescent and chorus. Ive had my share of dividend cuts as well. Think im going to invest better (stick to solid blue chips) moving forward.

All the best