5 Stocks on my Watch List

1. Cntrysky says:

I’m looking into Trans-Canada myself. It is on my list. My son’s resp has Micron Technology, Oracle, Dollarama, and Switch. Switch was a mistake. Dollarama is hurting but I’m okay with holding onto it. My watch list consists of: Trans-Canada, BMO or TD, Fortis, Emera, and BCE.

As for my own portfolio I’m on purchase hold mode. I do have about 5k to move around. I’m leaning more towards Fortis again. I used to have a nice dividend based portfolio of my own with Fortis, Emera, and Canadian Utilities but sold it to help in a down payment towards the house. Now I’m hyper-hyper paying off the house by shelling out 1700 bi-weekly. That is the only debt with an interest attached to it. I’m hoping to get that paid off by the next 5-6 years. I’m still wondering if this is the right approach – or save towards further stock purchasing. I’ve been researching heavily lately though.

hey country

thanks for swinging by. Love seeing new face.

As for the paying off the house thats your call. I used to do that with our previous house. I ended up switching up my style and used some of those funds to grow our passive income. how we increased our forward income by 12k

I missed the boat on fortis a week or 2 ago. was debating it at 41 since then it shot right up.

I like your watchlist as well. bns may be a good bank to look into as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. 5-6 years until a paid off mortgage aint bad either!

2. Hey Rob,

Interesting picks. I’ve stayed away from oil generally speaking over the years.
    I share CU with you and, while I feel I have a full position, I would still take a closer look on a significant pullback as you mentioned. The yield is great and the dividend growth is legendary as well.

Take care,
    Ryan
    Get Rich Brothers recently posted…The Best Thing to Ever Happen to Canadian InvestorsMy Profile

hey Ryan

cu is definately a stock i love owning. got to love dividend history like that!

Interesting about staying away from oil. I hear ya, some.people hate that industry.

cheers mate!

3. I’m not familiar with Weathon and Savaria, but you can’t go wrong with SU, IPL, and TRP. IPL is becoming very popular stock pick amongst the bloggers. Especially at $22 and change and 7.5% yield. Looking forward to your buy post!

hey German.

Thats part of my problem with wpm and savara. They arent exactly blue chips. I dunno if ipl would fall in that category either though.

It definitely has been a favorite amongst bloggers recently.

German

4. Cody says:

Hey Rob,

I’ve been eyeing IPL over the last month myself for my tfsa. Also been watching ADW.A but don’t have enough cash to pull the trigger on both. ADW.A is a small cap wine producer. They’ve been growing their dividend over the past few years and wine is becoming quite popular. I was also hoping fortis was going to stay around 42 as I had some money in my rrsp account so I could have bought more to DRIP but sadly it shot up. So now I’m hoping for a pull back. However for a long term hold it probably still isn’t a bad price

hey Cody

Didnt even notice the pull back on Andrew peller wines. That stock has been doing really well in the past.

Fortis kinda sucked but its a long term game, it will be back to those levels eventually.

Cheers Cody

5. GYM says:

I have heard of Savaria but thought it was like either a big pharma company or a weed stock company, lol!
    GYM recently posted…The 7 Stages of Investing: Which Stage Are You At?My Profile

6. May says:

I have IPL and TRP, both under water. 🙁

Want to buy more TD and BPY.UN.

I have bought 200 FTS @$42. I still had tons of utilities underwater so no more utilities for me any more.

I stay away from energy stocks as they are too cyclical. I stay away from resources too as I feel there is no growth there.

I was very unlucky with small cap companies, so I generally stay away from business that is under 1B assets.

LOL, looks like not much left to invest.

haha Hey May

Ipl and Trp may signal a buy if your underwater. I was really considering bpy.un but i think I may let it play out at least another quarter. I like what they want to do with the malls though. That will be good for both the retail and residential side of things.

Yeah you did eliminate a lot of sectors…. Guess just banks and telco’s?

cheers May!

7. May says:

Another one I am looking to buy is SJ. Its price right now is almost 52 weeks low, and I am hesitating to pull the trigger due to the market trend.

stella jones is a interesting pick. We use them all the time on wood landscape projects. Great product. I would be worried about new home construction though. I hear from some people its slowing for them in the trades. Now that could be just seasonal or maybe the tides are changing a bit with higher interest rates.

Rails and teleco’s will keep replacing those ties and poles though. 52 week low buys are nice.