Market Timing – Don’t – Stack Them Div’s (New Buy)

1. Great post Rob.. I have been in the same predicament this past week since the markets began to drop. I too have realized in the long run it doesn’t matter. I will buy now, and hold for the long run. In the meantime, I will collect the dividends to re-invest.

hey Dr

It can be a weird mental game at times. I can only imagine if I had a couple mil in the markets.

Just keep collecting those dividends and cashing those cheques.

2. DivvyDad says:

You’re absolutely right that for those of us still in the accumulation phase, having prices going lower is a benefit given the long-term nature of the market increasing. However, it can be a struggle as it is nice to see the green / gains on our investments.

The types of responses that I was seeing online did give me some concern for when the next bear market does truly arrive, as if people were panicking with this drop I don’t know what people will do when we see a decline of 20-30% or more. In my mind, the important thing is to have a strategy and remain true to that strategy–selling in a panic does not work out well in the long-term.

Nice to see the buy that you’ve made and continue to build that position!
    DivvyDad recently posted…Recent Buy :: Genuine Parts CompanyMy Profile

hey dd

Thanks man. Its true the fear factor seemed really high, and Joe Rogan was nowhere to be found.

For me its all about the cashflow. As long as the dividends keep flowing its all good!

cheers dd.

3. Wally says:

I picked up some BNS shares as well! Great pick and great read!
    Wally recently posted…P2P Income Report: August 2018My Profile

4. Great buy, Rob! I’m ready to put some money to work this week. I’ll probably look at BNS in December and buy it before the ex-dividend day.

5. Doug says:

Love pullbacks as I see you do. Usually I don’t have money for pullbacks because I’m buying when a stock drops but had some money for this one. That’s the way to do it stack the divvys.
    Doug recently posted…Sept 18 Dividend reportMy Profile

nice Doug.

My cash hoard is basically out at the moment.. Need to reload before the next one.

Look forward to seeing your buys in your next report.

cheers Doug!

Don’t try to buy and consistently buy those undervalued dividend stocks, love the purchase!

7. Great buy. As you know, I just picked up a few myself. Glad to finally have one of the Canadian banks in my portfolio. Small position to start so we will see how it performs.
    Dividend Daze recently posted…Recent Buy – Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS)My Profile

8. Rob – I love it. Way to continue putting your capital to use and stack those dividends. Timing the market is a fools game for individual investors. Have your metrics, do your analysis, so you know and understand that a company is undervalued and it makes sense to purchase them.

Bert
    Dividend Diplomats recently posted…Difficulty in Waiting for The Dividend IncreaseMy Profile

9. Great post! I personally don’t think “timing the market” is a legit strategy, at least not for small-time investors. Best advice is to think with the brain, not with the heart!

10. DivHut says:

Well said. I always tout the merits of not trying to time the market and simply stay in the game. No one can call the a bottom nor a top so simply buy stocks you like and hold throughout. Like the BNS pick up too by the way. One of my 3 Canadian banks I hold as well. Keep it up!
    DivHut recently posted…Baby DivHut Dividend Income Portfolio Update Q3 2018My Profile

hey hut

Yeah you have definately been a huge supporter of not timing the market. Continuously making new buys. Got to love it.

Glad you like bns. Nice to see Americans holding the big 5 banks.

11. Hi Rob,

As you mentioned, the economy appears to be doing quite well; I’ve been reading the conference call transcripts from companies like $WM and $CU and they’re doing quite well overall.

The media will always overinflate things to put a spin on it to scare the uninformed. Just keep investing over time and let the noise work itself out. Remember how many things have happened over the last century and yet we’re still cruising along just fine.

Regards,
    Ryan

hey Ryan

Yeah for sure, look at the market even more recently. what is it dropping for? random shootings and mail bombs? or is the interest rate hikes? i dunno for sure but like you mentioned the economy still looks great.

ill keep on buying