Drips – Investing made simple.

1. Great article on the powers of a DRIP Rob. I recently did an post pertaining to the same thing! One has to love the power of compounding without the commissions.

hey Dr

Welcome, love seeing new faces around here!

Haha I dont want to bust your style, missed your post. Got to check it out.

2. GYM says:

Great post Rob! I love DRIPping! But I only have two stocks that I drip, and set them up years ago. Husky (HSE.TO) and Sunlife (SLF.TO). It is nice when you see you have another share and it just adds up by itself. A great way to save money on trading/comissions.
    GYM recently posted…How to Maximize your Canada Child Benefit (CCB)My Profile

3. Nice article, Rob! Dips are great, but I choose to harvest my dividends and invest them with my monthly contributions. However, if I open an investment account for the kids, I would definitely sign up for Drips and let the account grow on its own.

hey German

thanks, taking the cash is great but you miss out on the discounts. lol Too eachs own though. when you put the cash to work monthly anyways, it grows just as fast.

4. Rob thanks for the post. I’m also a huge fan of DRIP. All of our holdings enrolled for DRIP. TD Waterhouse does allow DRIPing selected stocks.

5. Wally says:

I DRIP as well! I love this feature. I didn’t realize some companies offer a discount though! thats something ill have to look into a bit more. thanks for sharing!

6. I drip some shares. BNS and ENB with the transfer agent directly, and receive the 2% discount with ENB.

Enerplus and Cominar REIT have drips turned on but not to DRIP since their payouts have been cut. I will find out if High Liner can drip next month. Questrade buys their DRIP shares on the open market, which means that no discount will be applied unlike other brokerages that do something different and pass the discounts a long.

hey Pursuit

Nice man, gotta love the drips. For some reason with rbc highliner doesnt drip for me.

Nice buy though, im on the fence about doubling up.

7. Cris says:

I am fun of the DRIP programs as well but to bad that most of brokerages are allowing only full DRIP.
    Does anybody knows any brokerage other then Computershare which is doing partial DRIP-ing?

hey Cris

I dont know of any others. Maybe someone can help.

• Charles says:

Rob and Cris,

Check out this company.

I used to have some BCE shares held with them but opted to transfer those shares to Scotia iTrade. It was far easier for me to have everything held with an online broker.

ALL my investment holdings held with TD and BNS are set up for the automatic reinvestment of the dividends. Fractional shares are not purchased so if I receive $1238.42 in dividends from XYZ and only $1235.00 was be used to acquire new whole shares then the difference between the two amounts remains as cash in my account. This service is not available for American Deposit Receipts.

Hope this helps.

Charles

hey Charles

Great to hear, maybe something to look into.

Like you, i find it easier to keep them with the same broker.

cheers and Thanks for the info.

Huge fan of the DRIP. I say turn the faucet on and let the DRIP commence!

9. I’m always DRIPing my shares, at least at this moment. I enjoy receiving the extra fractional shares (for free with no fees) and getting the increased dividend income as a result of it! Who can really complain about that, right?

Thanks for the summary and nice read.

Bert

10. Hey Rob! I DRiP nearly all my dividends and love the benefits as you covered. There is one REIT (OHI) that I currently don’t DRiP as I don’t currently want to build that position. I’m able to do fractional DRiP-ing through Vanguard brokerage (at no cost), so every cent goes to work. I can turn on/off the DRiP for any stock in my portfolio… a nice feature.
    Engineering Dividends recently posted…Monthly Options Income (Aug. 2018)My Profile

I am aware of the drip program, but I have never enrolled in it. My reason for not enrolling is the flexibility. I combine all the dividends that I receive and make a single purchase of a new or existing stock. I am slowly moving into index ETF now and will start to consider drip in my RRSP and TFSA accounts.
    Leo T. Ly recently posted…How To Increase Your Passive Income By Selling Covered Call OptionsMy Profile