2018 Goals Audit
2018 Goals Audit
Hello! First off I want to apologize for being somewhat inconsistent on my posting. The landscape season is now full swing and the hockey playoffs are on. Both keep me really busy at the moment, but I hate excuses. The only people who care for excuses are the people making them, I will try to be more consistent again. That being said, on to the Audit.
Its now the beginning of May so we are a third of the year complete. Its time to look back at the goals we set at the beginning of the year and see how we are doing and where we really need to step up our game. I know before really looking at them there are some I really Sh!t the bed and failed miserably at. Its time to up my game, there’s only 8 months left to the year.
Overall I have 2 different pages showing my goals. One is a broad goal page of stuff I would eventually like to do and a rough timeline to complete them in. I also have my 2018 game plan, this is my goals that I really want to complete in 2018. This post will be focusing more on these goals.
I broke those goals down in different sectors. So lets get at it!
- Create A Will – FAIL…….. I said we would do this after the birth of our daughter. That was 3 months ago. Death is certain and this is something we must do.
- Hit The Weights – FAIL……. My goal was to workout 2-3 times a week. Honestly I became a bum this winter. I wrote about how I took the whole winter off. I did this for the first time ever to help around the house and be here for our newborn daughter. It was great and all but I seriously fell into a slump. I had all the time in the world but no real drive to get things done. The gym is in the garage and the garage was cold, excuses I told myself….. I maybe worked out once a week. Now that I’m back to work I already find myself more productive and will step this up.
- Diet – Pass This was added pretty recently but I think I’m doing great. I just wanted to start reducing my carb intake and eat more vegetables. Normally at work I eat like 3-4 sandwiches and some fruit. I have switched that to a spinach salad with a bunch of cheese, mushrooms, snap peas, tomato’s and some type of meat and if I go all out hard boiled eggs. No salad dressing. Surprisingly this actually is really appetizing, and will probably help turn my single ab into a couple?
- 10,000 Page Views In a Month – In Progress…… This one I don’t feel bad about at all. I knew this one would take some time and the progress keeps improving. Last month the site had over 6,000 views. The beginning of the month brought in over 1000 views in like 3 days.
- Dividend Growth – Pass I wanted to cut a couple positions in the portfolio and focus on better dividend growth companies. I have sold a couple positions I had and used the proceeds to fatten up existing dividend growth stocks.
- Start Budgeting – FAIL With the wife on maternity leave I wanted to start doing budgets again to manage our money. I didn’t for the first 2 months and honestly don’t see myself doing them. With the wife on mat leave I thought money would be tight but certain expenses such as daycare and gas etc go down as well. Its not as bad as I thought. I will remove this from the goals list. I’m so hooked to investing that saving is easy. I don’t care to cut every single cent that I can as long as we continue to save a nice chunk of money. Me and the wife are on the same page and when money starts to look a little tighter we hit the brakes and realign ourselves.
- Bump Passive Income Up – In Progress My goal is to generate $15,000 in passive income this year. We have been investing a lot into the market but also have been buying some lower yielding companies (disney and cnr). Long term this will be a great move but a higher yield would increase our chances at hitting this goal. So far we have brought in $4242.91 so we are a little behind but the solar panels should excel during the summer.
- Start a RESP for our daughter – Pass I set this up a couple weeks ago, but took a bit to finalize. We elected to combine our 2 kids resp accounts into a family account. I actually just deposited our first $500 into her resp.
- Fix Credit Report – Pass – We bought this house 2 years ago and sold our old house. At the beginning of the year I noticed our old house was still on our credit report. A couple calls and a picture got it fixed pretty quickly. Easy Fix. Make sure you check your credit every once in awhile…
- 10% increase in Salary – Fail Working for family can have its benefits and drawbacks. I failed to a get a 10% raise but got a 5% raise and we always do year end bonuses so there’s still hope…
- Finish the Vegetable Garden – In Progress Ideally this would be done. Unfortunately this year has been a horse of a different color. We got hit with a massive ice storm mid April and set everything way back. I was finally able to clean up the yard and cut it last week. Today a super wind storm hit, and snapped a fence post taking 2 fence sections down with it. Looks like that will be priority first. I think I will stay home May long weekend and try to knock these projects out. It will be done though, I love me my fresh veggies.
Well that concludes my first 2018 goals Audit. 11 Goals total. 4 have been completed or passed, 4 failed so far and 3 are still in progress. Overall I feel pretty good about the results. The working out one really grinds my gears, its so easy to do. Just got to develop the habit and get back into the grove. I miss standing at the mirror flexing, for a unjustified amount of time……. Haha
How are you doing with your goals?
Hey I’m Rob, creator of Passive Canadian Income.
In 2011 me and my wife had almost $60,000 in debt and a negative $7,000 Net Worth. Through hard work and financial education we paid all that off. Now we are focusing on increasing our Passive Income Streams to make the money work for us. Feel Free to Follow along the Journey by clicking the Social Media links below or subscribing to get notified of new posts on the sidebar.