My Worst Investments

1. I never bought any precious metals..a few mining companies would be the closest I’ve come 🙂

I almost bought a bunch of TECK as well around 4.00..but had the same reservations that you did and passed on it (big mistake)…but hindsight is 20/20.

I think you will be okay with ENB long term…still a little concerned with Corus but hopefully it works out for ya!

My best investments (% wise) would have to be my weed stocks – but I cashed them out for 200+% returns and bought some safer stocks.

Haha thats awesome Jordan. Yeah i passed on the dope stocks. Huge money missed there, glad you profited.

Im not worried about enbridge just sucks that my position is so large that i cant be buying!

Go jets!

2. Good to read through your wins and losses, Rob.

Too bad that you are starting to sell the PMs. When you start hearing such negative and hated asset, that would be my signal to buy rather than sell. Yes, theres no cash flow with hoarding metal, but thats not what its for. PMs provide you with storage of value and purchasing power. Its about trying to find the right balance in your overall store of value vs. cash generating assets that will lead to a more comfortable living.

All the best
    R2R

Hey Road

Yeah, my sale wasnt a huge % of the portfolio. Ill slowly liquidate it, im in no rush. It is great for diversification but sucks for cashflow. I hear what your saying though!

3. Worse investments I have so many : Enerplus, Cominar REIT, DREAM REIT, A&W Royalties Fund,

ERF = cost basis around $21 dollars a share and it went all the way down to around $3.00 and has gone back up to around $15.00. They cut their dividend multiple times from $0.18 monthly to $0.01 monthly.

Cominar REIT and DREAM Office REIT have cut their distribution multiple times. DREAM Office REIT has risen in value to around $23 which is very close to my ACB. Cominar is down almost $5 from my ACB per share.

My best has been Facebook. I bought it immediately after IPO at $38 per share. I only own 10 shares.

RCI.B, EMA, BCE, BNS have been good. I think ENB will rebound.

Yeah dividend cuts hurt. Thats my main thing. Stock price drops mean more drips…. potash and boardwalk reit have been my only dividend stock cuts though. Knock on wood.

Thats awesome about facebook they just posted some nice results.

Cheers Ip

4. Rob, Too many misses for me to go through in a blog comment. Funny though, I was thinking of doing a post similar to this. It’s so valuable to recognize your mistakes, learn from them and move. I’m sure I/we have many more investing mistakes in our future, but I think if one minimizes them to a small fraction of all the decision made, everything turns out all right. Diversification helps……Enbridge as an example. Tom

Hey tom

Thats funny, i had one on my mind and someone posted the exact same thing the day before i was going to write it up.

Mistakes will happen, its all goos if they are minor. Enbridge will bounce back but sucks i cant add atm.

I also own a sizeable position in Enbridge and took a big hit when the news came out. With any company, some times they encounter challenges. This pipeline will thing is definitely one of them. Just hold on tight and collect the dividends.

My best investment had been buying Berkshire Hathaway for my wife’s account. Worst investment was oilexco that went to zero.

Yeah just means more drips… just would love to dollar cost average down and catch that monster yield.

Berkshire would be a great one to own! Sucks about exco.

Cheerrs leo

6. Worst Investments : I have lots . Enerplus, Cominar REIT, Dream Office REIT, High Liner Foods

Enerplus: cut dividend multiple times and it dropped always down to around $3.00 but rebounded recently to around $15. My ACB is slightly over $21 per share.

HLF – I never expected them to fall that much. I mostly eat their healthy fish products (multigrain coating), when I have fish.

Best Investments : Facebook , Boston Pizza Royalties Income Fund

I bought 10 shares of FB at $38 per share on the IPO date and currently up over 300% on this position.

• My first comment earlier did not show up. When I checked to see your response. As soon as I submitted the comment immediately above all of them show up. Technology is full of bugs, but hard to imagine life without the internet !

7. My worst mistakes were buying penny gold and silver stocks in 2003/4. I got crushed in the meltdown of 2008/9. Too many others to mention but most involve selling too soon.

hey Stock

haha I completely forgot i tried a penny stock before with some play money. it sucked…. no more penny stocks for me…. selling to soon is a great one, i always wonder that when selling.