Save On Gas – Super Easy!

1. I don’t have a loyalty card Rob. I use gas buddy to try and find the best price in the area when I need gas. Will oil prices rising, the days of super cheap gas seem to have ended for the time being. Tom
    Tom @ Dividends Diversify recently posted…Do You Like Your Meat Out of Can? | Hormel FoodsMy Profile

2. p2035 says:

I have even better saving on fuel tip – don;t use a car. Use public transport or walk 🙂 Bicycle or scooter is also good alternative. Also electric bikes and scooters getting more and more cheaper 🙂

Haha P

No question that has a tonne of advantages. I live in the country so its not really option or my bikeride would take forever. For city folk like downtown Toronto, i dont see why anyone would have a car

3. GYM says:

It’s $1.51 a litre here in Vancouver. Ridiculous.
    We went down south yesterday and filled up our tank. It was $3.08/gallon, 1 gallon is 3.74 L= $0.815/litre.
    Holy sh*t we are taxed to death up here in Canada.
    Maybe I should load up on more HSE shares ha.
    GYM recently posted…PF Blog Round Up: Net Worth Bloggers EditionMy Profile

wow that is brutal. I was wondering what the price was down there. Husky is cheaper from a p/e standpoint but suncor is double the dividend. My oversized Enbridge position keeps my energy sector topped up at the moment though.
      Cheers GYm

4. MrSLM says:

It’s $1.42 here in Montreal, threw a few bucks in the tank a bit earlier, first time in a month or 2. We share the car my wife’s parents, who mostly use it to do the same as us, grocery shopping and occasional longer trips.

Honestly best thing to do is to create a situation where you don’t depend so much on gas. Walk, bike, choose to live near public transportation options, etc.
    MrSLM recently posted…Financial Update – March 2018My Profile

Hey Mr

No question that is a great situation to be in. Using the car so little would be ideal, but would make me debate having one all together.

The dream for me was to live in the country. Im living it, but unforetunately gas is one of the added costs to do it.

5. Wally says:

Great post Rob. I have linked up my RBC and Petro points – what a great deal. If I don’t fill up at Petro Can, I’ll fill up at a Circle K to get some Air Miles at least, but Petro is the way to go right now.

Given that transportation is one of our three biggest expenses, I really want to cut down, so thanks for sharing this post. I plan on coming out with some more content on how to save in this area – so stay tuned. I like some of the suggestions your readers have provided above. Cutting out driving all together would be ideal, but very hard to do sometimes. I am actually considering moving to the city core to be able to save a bit more in this area.

Hey Wally

Np glad you liked it. Interesting i still have seen a circle k gas station anywhere. Glad the link helped ya!

No question cars are one of our biggest expenses between gas, maintenance, repairs and insurance its a killer to the budget.

City would be cool to bike or walk everywhere. I just like my privacy of the country!

Best of luck if you decide to move. look forward to your ways to save money.

• Wally says:

Thanks Rob. Circle K is all over the place here. I have yet to experience living in a city core, so it will be a first for me. I’ll try it out and if it doesn’t work out I’ll be out in the country again! I definitely see the benefits of living away from all the hustle and bustle though.

6. Rob, anytime you can save money, that’s a good thing. Right now I drive an electric scooter so I don’t pay anything for gas, unless I rent a car. However, that’s going to change in the summer when I have to get a car. I’m not looking forward to paying for a gas again! The loyalty points sounds like an interesting way to save. I probably would do the same thing, but with a credit card that gives cash back or something like that.
    Dividend Portfolio recently posted…Inspirational Quote Of The Month – April 2018My Profile

Hey port

Nice man electric is the way to go for sure. Why do you need to get a car come summer? Would think it would be opposite.

Points-savings and cash back thats what im doing. Triple play!

7. I use a Cdn Tire App for Cdn Tire money. Canada’s other official currency lol. I usually acrue a $1.05 per fill up at current prices. Currently $1.23L here in Simcoe County.
    I used to use Esso and Petro Can but the higher gas prices do not justify collecting points. Waste of time really as their gas is usually 10-15 cents higher than Cdn Tire and most others. They make you pay up for that loyalty.

Hey stock

I keep thinking of getting their card! Would be a way easier way to keep all that money together and not have all those 5 cent bills! Also i buy alot of hockey, camping and fishing stuff at ct.

Luckily i live off the cheap gas station strip so they are all similar prices!

Thanks for swinging by

8. I will try to bike more this summer. My work is about 10km from home so the bike ride should take about 45 minutes. Sometimes I fill out at costco and save about 7-8 cents per litre. I aslo use esso points cards and use those points to wash the car.
    Dividend Income Stocks recently posted…PORTFOLIO VALUE UPDATE – MARCH 2018My Profile

Hey income

Haha thats funny. I never take my car through a carwash and my son even asks me too. He thinks it would be cool. One day i will, but that’s what the rain is for!

45min each way is nice bike ride. Good on ya!

I dont have a costco membership and hate their parking lot so i try to stay away from there!

Haha, cheers

9. Nelson says:

We definitely fill up at Costco when the opportunity strikes, but there’s no way I’m driving that far every time I have to fill up. That place is crazy.

Not sure if this still exists today, but Petro Can used to do a promotion where they’d sell a $200 gift card for $190 on eBay, plus throw in a card that gave 5 cents off a liter for a certain amount of gas. It worked out to some pretty decent savings, but we don’t have a Petro Can here so I never bought it.

10. Georgina McEachern says:

do you have to fill up before you get the 3 cents saving or is that on any amount of gas per litre

hey Georgina

Once its linked it seems its on any purchase. You will see your savings on the receipt each time.

Makes sense to do if you bank with rbc anyways, and makes filling up a little better. (kinda)

Thanks for stopping by!