I can Retire Every Winter, This Year I did…

1. Russ says:

Amazing!
    I read most of your blog post here and havent checked in in a while. Happy to see it still working out well.

Your 100% about the cars. Im so happy i bough a few year old car with the saving i had instead of that new one with the mknthtl payment or whatever. I dont get what people are thinking especially in a situation with 2 young kids.

Hey Russ

Welcome back! Great to hear you still like my blog. Haha

Yeah you cant write enough about how expensive new cars are.. ahh well need someone to buy them so in 5 years I can buy it from them at a waayyyy cheaper price

Cheers!

2. It is nice that you have put yourself in a position where you are able to take time off and not have to stress over being alright financially. I know a few people that plow also being in the north myself. They are putting in 18 hour days between their main job and the side money from snow plowing. Hard to get any sleep which can be dangerous driving and burns you out faster. Especially if you hate to snow plow it makes the 3 months really long.

Haha tall boys! Our favorite bar here has $2 24oz brews which is the only place I really go to if I go out. Costs me about the same as if my friends and I were to hang out at the house but it is a change of atmosphere.

Just don’t get too comfortable not working. Will eventually have to go back until you can actually retire. But nice to have the option available to you sooner than later.

Hey daze! Yeah those days of grinding 18 hours plus are done. My gut would beat me down from all the coffees i would drink.

2 dollar beers? Shit thats awesome, definately not here. Its always nice to switch up the hangout spot though!

I definately am not comfortable not working….. i cant wait to get back at it! Should be back at it in a week or 2. Got to turn these women hands back into man hands, they are way to soft!

Cheers Daze!

3. Hi Rob, I think you make your own luck and breaks and you should be able to benefit from them however you choose and in whatever way makes you happy. I am able to work part time as a teacher. I’m home a lot and off work a lot and I’m sure a few of the neighbors think wtf as you say. But, I’m always busy with something when I’m not doing teaching stuff. And, I love it. Tom
    Tom @ Dividends Diversify recently posted…A Teaching MomentMy Profile

Thats awesome Tom! Im jealous of teachers. They are seasonal like me but they get the good season off! If it was switched for me no question we would have a cottage and id enjoy my time off. Fish on!

4. MrSLM says:

Definitely amazing. I took 3 months for the birth of our son, loved it. I don’t get stir crazy though, too many things to do. Workout, errands, hobbies, video games, can’t cram them all into one day even when I’m not working 🙂
    MrSLM recently posted…How I Negotiated a $40k RaiseMy Profile

Sadly my gym is in the garage and wasnt motivated to start the heater and go! I worked out a couple times but was never routine. Its true though there is never enough time in the day.

Cheers Mr

It all balances out as you probably work at least 10 hours a day during the good months. I am pretty much into routines. It will drive me nuts if I have to change my routine.

Come to think of it, I probably would mind to have to option not to work a month or two without having to worry about my income. I hope that I can reach FI soon so I can try this optional work.
    Leo T. Ly recently posted…How I Earned More Money And Pay Less Income Taxes Than My SpouseMy Profile

Haha true leo. I think thats what drove me nuts the most. Staying up til 12am instead of 10. And having nothing to really do. There was alot I could do, just fell out of routine! Ahhh your killing it you will be fi in no time!

Cheers Leo

6. Congrats mate! Your progress has been amazing. I could definitely take 3 months off but I will have to tap into my savings. I don’t think my dividends are sufficient.
    dividendgeek recently posted…Tax-loss harvestingMy Profile

7. vivianne says:

Congrats on the 3-months break. having a website can help you plan ahead and put it down on the “paper” per se. I get what you mean about “liking to work” 🙂 can’t sit still LOL

I told my husband that I’d like to buy a school bus for $3K, then spend $3-5K renovating it so we can take 4-days vacation at the beach or something and not having to worry about room and board LOL 🙂 still come back to the same bed every night. He’s not buying it though LOL 🙂

Hey Vivianne

Haha its a great idea. It would probably be a different story if i was on the beach or a cottage.

Me and a buddy keep talking about splitting on a cottage resort but our wives arent 100% about the idea.

I think spouses got to both be on board with the idea or it wont work. Its a great idea though and not a huge expense..

Pretty darn cool; you are getting the taste of what it would be like and I think you are happier/enjoying the moments life has to offer more. I bet you are hungrier than ever to continue to build that passive income now, as you know what it feels like to be free momentarily.

Hey Lanny

It feels good having the option and no question I enjoy the time with the family, but i am looking forward to going back to work!

Cheers man

9. I recently left Canada, and this time for good. I love Canada, but the winters just kill me. I get February Depression in December haha.
    Troy @ Bull Markets recently posted…Study: a strong economy and weak stock market is bullish for stocksMy Profile

Hey Troy

Nice man where did you go? I always think of mr free at 33 moving to Thailand. Selling everything and doing something like that. Well less taxes and lower cost of living. Nice and warm. Family and friends are only thing stopping us

10. Caroline says:

I think for you to be home for three months, with your new baby girl and your son is awesome:) You will look back and never regret it:) Now , get back to work!
    Caroline recently posted…You CAN Reach FI Without A Master Plan!My Profile