First Tech Stock

The tech sector of my portfolio is also underweighted too. This is due to my mistake of holding on to blackberry and see its value continue to decrease in the recent years. I wanted to invest in Apple a couple of times and sold a few put options, but the stock price never dropped down to the strike price. I just kept the premium for free. I am still trying to invest in tech stocks, but I am looking for opportunities.
    Leo T. Ly recently posted…Should You Manage Your Own Investments?My Profile

• Canada needs some big tech players. I think cisco is a good opportunity at the moment and definally offers a nice teild as well. I really feel apples best days are behind them. Steve jobs made apple! Haha

2. Doug says:

I’m overweight in tech but if something is still on special next couple times I buy I could pull the trigger. Never want to pass up a chance to add a good stock. Of course a few stocks are on sale right now. Going to make a buy this week. Apple still has some life left look at what the stock will do when the iPhone 8 comes out I think it will head close to 170.00
    Doug recently posted…June Dividend ReportMy Profile

• Hey Doug good points. A deal is a deal. I keep thinking what id do if enbridge pulled back alot even tho its like 13% of my portfolio.

Ill watch apple but i dont think anything really new is coming out on the phone. But some peopls are just hardcore apple. I tend to get my cellphone based on camera and price so huawei might be big competition in the cell world soon enough. They got good cameras. Cheers

3. Jay says:

Thanks for sharing! Agree with your comment that Canada has a lack of bit tech stocks – especially dividend paying stocks. Constellation Software is the only one in my portfolio at the moment. Thanks again.
    Jay recently posted…Cognex (CGNX) Trade Review 2017My Profile

DAYUM! Let me see that CISCOOO CISCO!!!! haha, Great purchase and damn good price, bought them once and am considering purchasing again. Hope this re-balancing other industries within your portfolio as well. Like you said it, that’ll be one helluva drip.

5. Hey PCI,

good job! – you got in lower than i did…but in the long run we both will see the rewards.

Cheers,
    DividendSolutions

6. John R says:

congrats on your Cisco purchase.

On that CGNX mentioned by Jay above, agree it’s not too good for dividends (DGI) – but what a nice pick, especially if it’s a swing trade that will increase in price, or other things that can be done with that stock.

Otherwise, say buying 100 shares at $89, then selling the Feb 2018 ‘at the money’ $90 covered call, picking up the option premium of $9.50/share. Add to that a selling a ‘out of the money’ naked PUT Feb 2018 at $65 strike price, picking up another $2.20/share in premium money.

This lowers your initial purchase tof $89 – covered call premium of $9.50 + $2.20 Put premium = $89- $11.70 = $77.30 (money at risk).

Profit (before commissions) if you get called on the $90 covered call is $90 in your pocket minus $77.30 money at risk =$12.70 profit. That is $12.70/$89 investment = 14.27% for the 7 mths or 24.46%annualized.

Then there is the vertical spread if folks believe the stock wont be too volatile – this lowers the investment, increases the percentage return… so many ways. Nice pick Jay.

Most stock trading investors wouldn’t do this, sticking to ‘Buy & Hold’ without an exit strategy or sell/stop loss price.

7. John R says:

On CSCO, I did some digging & looks like a nice pick by you. Expected one year target $36, with a ‘Buy’ recommendation at it’s current price. Should do well for you.

8. Fantastic buy, looks like a nice healthy dividend stock. Well done!
    Buy, Hold Long recently posted…Net Worth Update – June 2017My Profile

9. Great buy. I’m happy to be a fellow shareholder. CSCO has it’s haters, but I like the company. Great company and a good dividend. Nice job.
    Investment Hunting recently posted…Lending Club Month 5 UpdateMy Profile

10. PCI I think you made a great purchase. You beat me to it. CSCO was one of the stocks I am seriously considering adding to my portfolio.
    Dividend Portfolio recently posted…June Dividend Income ReportMy Profile

11. Congrats on your first Tech Stock! Our family does not own any shares in CSCO but it is certainly on our radar after seeing a few buys from the DGI community lately.

Thanks for sharing and best wishes! AFFJ
    A Frugal Family’s Journey recently posted…Collection of RECENT BUYS (June 2017 Summary)My Profile

12. Duncan's Dividends says:

I’m definitely underweight tech at the moment as well, but Cisco is on my list. I just deployed quite a bit of capital the last three months so I’m waiting probably until September or a massive pullback to deploy more of it. Great pick up though!

• Thanks Duncan. I havr been thinking the same thing. Do i make more purchases or wait for a pull back. The tsx has been slowly going down the last couple months. Is a crash nearby? Noone knows…..

13. I’m still laughing at your song reference haha. But I think it is a great buy. And it will add a substantial amount of dividend income to your portfolio. Wish I had that much free capital to throw into a stock. Nice to see you making some big moves.
    Dividend Daze recently posted…Dividend Update – JuneMy Profile

14. Great buy. I’ve been an owner of Cisco for quite some time now. Still up nearly 29% in my Roth. I might have to look at buying some more too. The only issue for me is that I try to avoid owning a stock in both a Roth and taxable account. Not that it really matters (other than for REITs), but that it just seems to keep things easier to keep track of if they are consolidated into one account. I have a few exceptions when good value presents itself and this might be one of the times.

Scott
    Scott @ TwoInvesting recently posted…June 2017 IncomeMy Profile

• Thanks Scott, I hear ya. Since me and my wife can both have a tax free savings account its hard. I want to have different companies in both portfolio’s but they tend to overlap. Drips would be wayy simpler if we just held all in one account.